I GOT THIS RECIPE IDEA FROM ‘THE RUNNING BUG’…CHANGED SOME INGREDIENTS TO MAKE IT VEGAN FRIENDLY OF COURSE :-). THIS DISH WILL NOURISH YOUR BODY WITH COMPLEX CARBS, PROTEIN AND SPICE.
- 1 kg x butternut squash
- 1x large onion
- 1x large tomatoe
- 1x red chilli
- 4x cloves of garlic
- 3x teaspoon ground coriander
- 3x teaspoon turmeric
- 2x teaspoon ground cumin
- 3x teaspoon olive oil
- 150ml x vegetable stock
- 200ml x coconut milk
- 1 x tin chickpeas- drained and rinsed
- 1 x small bunch coriander-finely chopped
- 250g x rice…whichever variety you prefer
- Preheat the oven to 200c, peel the butternut squash and scoop out any seeds and pith, then cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Crush the garlic, roughly chop the onion and tomato and deseed the red chili before finely chopping.
- Place the squash into a large roasting pan and scatter over the spices and 2 tablespoons of olive oil before seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Mix together and roast in the oven for 34-40 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, get started on the curry base and rice.
- Rinse your rice and put into a pan of cold water with a dash of salt. When the water is at a rolling boil reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the rice just tender before draining. This should take 40mins but it depends on which rice you use…brown rice might take slightly longer so follow instructions on rice packet.
- Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic and chili and fry over a loW heat for around 10 mins until the onion is starting to soften but not coloured. This is also where you should add in any other vegetables if you choose to.
- Add the roasted squash to the onion, pour over the stock and coconut milk and gently stir together. Add the chopped tomatoes and chick peas, cover and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 5mins before scattering over the chopped coriander.
- Serve up on a bed of rice and ENJOY!!!! :-).